Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Our hearts are with you



The community of John F. Kennedy High School in Paterson, New Jersey sends thoughts and prayers of condolence, peace and love to the people of Newtown, Connecticut.

In our overwhelming grief, we needed to express ourselves somehow, some way. These are our attempts to express what is in our hearts.



Twenty little children all cute and innocent,
Sent up to Heaven years before they had to,
May they rest in peace
they were so sweet,
They had no fault in this cruel world.
Goodbye little children, go on to heaven
Don't be afraid, you're safe now.
God will protect you; nobody will get you,
Everyone loves you and no one loathes you
Until we meet again we'll miss you
But know that you are free now,
Because the whole world can see that what really happened
Is that twenty little angels were called up to heaven.         Aysha Hood



It's so hard to see little children targeted, and especially at this time of year, a time when we can look at the faces of any child and delight in that look of excitement as though they were our own kid. This is supposed to be a magical time for them.
I don't know why this is affecting me so much. I didn't know any of the victims and I live far away in another state. But I've been crying on and off because of it. Whenever I read soothing about one of the victims I get all choked up. Whenever I smile or something, the shooting pops into my head and I immediately feel sad again. I feel depressed and I didn't even know any of the victims.    Shaheda Ueasim


This is the worst story to ever have to tell anyone. Children murdered at a place you believe your children to be safe: School. On that morning when the parents sent their children off to school, all their intentions were to be able to see their kids at 3:00, time to come home, but instead were told that their kid had been murdered by some sick man. It's horrible. This is the most heart-breaking thing to face. Also for the young children to wait for their parents to pick them up from school and have to face the fact that their mom or dad were murdered. I pray for all of the families and friends to stay strong for their little angels.     Brielle Peters


My prayers go out to everyone who lost a family member in this horrible incident. No parent should ever have to bury a child. I really can't say I know how you feel because I never was in this predicament. But one day you'll meet your child again, greeting them with a email while they're welcoming you home. I'm sorry for you and everyone you lost. I found a poem that I would like to dedicate to everyone who had a child taken away from them. The author is unknown, but the sentiments are those that I feel right now.
Don't grieve for me now I'm free
I'm following the path God laid out for me.
I took his hand when I heard him call, 
I turned my back and  left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone will stay that way,
I found that peace at close of day.
If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah yes, these things I, too, will miss.
But be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life has been full, I've savored so much.
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief.
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and share with me,
God wanted me now, he set me free.

Rhianna McCollum


Nothing is sadder than innocent lives being taken. Pure children who attend elementary school to learn lives are ended. School is what is perceived to be a safety zone for all attending students and staff members, the Constitution even mentions safety. In Connecticut, Friday, December 14, 2012, a random male barged into a local elementary school and fired gunshots at multiple students and teachers. How can you stare at a six year old in the face and shoot them? My prayers go out to all the families that are dealing with this horrendous tragedy.            Deja Wilkerson


Angels
Angels golden and bright
Angels that light up the night
Angels who are free
Angels for you and me
Angels who are too young
Angels that make us want change.

They are safe and cannot feel any more pain
They can play all day
They will make sure their loved ones are ok

Angels that do not fight
Angels who risked their lives for others
Angels looking down at us
Angels who don't judge
Angels that loved a bunch
Angels that touched the nation's heart

Through all this tragedy some good came out
They are angels for you and me
Christopher Reyes



I think the tragedy that happened in Connecticut is absolutely horrible.
So many innocent lives were taken, the majority of them children. 
My heart goes out to all the families that lost loved ones and the parents of the children who were murdered in the massacre.
A parent shouldn't have to bury a child, especially under circumstances like this.
Christopher Rodriguez



The shooting incident at Sandy Hook Elementary School was really a heartbreaking incident. It was sadder news because most of the victims were 6-7 year old kids. Whenever I see the photos in the newspaper of the kids who died and their families suffering I start crying. There isn't any word to comfort the victims' families. But I would say keep the kids alive in your heart with your memories. And investigate more to find out why the guy did what he did.   Thahia Monim



My feelings toward the shooting in Connecticut would be very sad and disappointed for the fact that a person in this world would have the heart to go into a school and shoot kids of such a young age. It just isn't right. I don't understand who in their right mind would do such a thing. Hopefully someday this world can become better because I would hate to raise my future children in a world like this.         Fernando Quispe

Dear parents who lost your babies, I send you all my condolences. I can't imagine how you feel right now. Your babies are not here with you, but just hope that hey are i a better and safer place. Pray that you will see them again. It breaks my heart to hear that little kids havbe been killed for no reason. But just take it one day at a time. I don't know how it feels to lose a child, but I do know how it feels to lose a loved one. I know it's not easy.
Love, Crurel Penn


Sometimes you don't know who will be gone.
Sadly, twenty children suffered.
One day you drop your children off at school
without thoughts that you will never see them again.
God bless every child and parent suffering and may they rest in peace.
Tatiana Vanegas

Dear Parents who lost their children in a tragic school shooting, I wish you guys the best and I'm sending our prayers to all of these parents. God is with us during good and bad, so don't put the blame on yourself. Blame the school for not having a more secure school. I know what you are feeling. You're feeling a special person lost, but in your hearts is where they will stay. I would feel a loss inside of me. I put myself in your shoes and it is not easy. It breaks my heart to hear over and over about this, but I'll be praying.
Love, Jerson

I feel so bad for the Connecticut elementary school. They were innocent kids. They didn't deserve what they got. My prayers go out to their families. I know they're in a better place now.
Alyssa Mott




My condolences go out to the twenty little angels' families that died on Friday. When I heard the news on tv, my heart dropped to my stomach.  That could have been one of my family members, and it's sad that they had to die a week before Christmas.
Jhaniya Lovett


My heart goes out to all those little children who died a horrible death. It is tragic to know that so many kids died being innocent young children. It is just horrific. I can only imagine what the families are going through right now.
Anthony Batista


It's sad hearing twenty kids only six and seven years old being killed. They had a future ahead of them. All my condolences go out to their families, and to all the students who had to go through this tragedy. 
Eliana Ramos


Sending out my condolences to the innocent children and adults
who were killed in this Connecticut massacre.   Zenisha Johnson


We lost 27 innocent lives, but Heaven gained 27 angels. Sorry for each and every one of your losses. My condolences go out to the families of all the victims.
Tiffany Mitchell




This is a tragic incident that cost the lives of twenty little angels and six adults who gave their lives to protect the rest. The worst part of all is that Christmas is around the corner. The parents of the victims are having it worst. They have to pass their kid's room and see that the won't be returning home. They left to Heaven too early. My condolences go to the victims' parents and families. No one should experience what they are going through.     Blanca Ortiz


The incident showed how much a teacher cares for students. Students don't tend to appreciate what teachers do for us. Spending their time and efforts helping us be better than we were.   Muhammad Ali

I didn't hear about the real story until I searched it up today. I heard rumors about it on Facebook. Looking at the story online gave me the real drama about it. From my understanding, a 20-year-old man came into an elementary school in Connecticut and killed 26 people, including little kids. Whatever problems he had he could have chosen a different way to deal with them. This should show school that they must be more protective.   Giniya Fritz.

I hope you all will feel better. We in New Jersey heard about the tragedy and want you to know that you have all of our sympathies and prayers.    Jehovanni Lebron


The School of Education and Training was devastated to hear the tragic  news of Sandy Hook.  Our thoughts, prayers and hearts reach out to you at this difficult time.                MaryAnne Perrotta, Principal
School of Education and Training
JFK Educational Complex
“Non Sibi”…”Not for Oneself”

When I heard about the horrible news in Connecticut I was really sad and horrified. As soon as I went home I told my family about it. Then I see my family crying. I was really worried, ad then my sister told me that my uncle died on the same day in a motorcycle. So for me 12/14/12 was one of the worst days of my life. So I hope those 27 and my Uncle Ahmed rest in peace.                 Ismothara Mili

What a tragedy, the heartbreaking shooting where 20 children were shot and killed at the age of 6-7.
Brave teachers tried to put up a fight to defend their students.
I'm sending out my condolences to all the innocent families
who have lost a loved one during this terrible event.
George Pasquella



EDITOR'S NOTE: All members of the JFK community -- students, teachers, administrators, staff, parents -- are more than welcome to add to this simple expression of condolence. If anyone would like to add his or her thoughts and feelings to this message of sorrow and support, either post a comment below, or email your pieces to Mr. Goffman at goffmanteacher@gmail.com and I will add them in. Sometimes the catharsis of just putting the feelings in our hearts into words can benefit both the writers and the readers. Peace, love and comfort to all.






1 comment:

  1. I found it really moving to read each and every remembrance, and the ones by the students I know -- Aysha Hood, Crurel Penn and Tatiana Vanegas -- meant the most to me.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete