Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Voice of Experience: Juan Cordero, Jr.


This is the first in a series of posts contributed by former Paterson students who want to share the wisdom they have gained since graduation. 



Responsibility Begins Now

by Juan Cordero, Jr.



This is coming from my heart, so listen when I tell you this: don't screw up like I did.
            An education is a terrible thing to waste. Yes, that is one of the cheesier lines that you will hear many times throughout your young life, but I can vouch for it being one of the most legitimate things that was ever told to me. It is really not that hard to see what an education can do for you. No one is lying to you when they say that you need one; the probability of you succeeding in life without a good education will never be that good, unless you are already well off by some other means. Most of us, frankly, are not.           
            In high school, I never took things seriously. High school was a physical and emotional playground for me, when it should have been a mental one as well if that makes any sense. I spent most of my time trying to impress my friends that I would meet and spend a good four years with instead of doing my homework and handing in my class projects on time. Many of my teachers would get frustrated when I did not hand in my work due to my laziness, because they knew that I was better than that. They knew it, heck I knew it, but I just did not commit. I put more effort into writing silly poems and "songs" instead of improving my terrible algebra and science grades.
            When Senior year rolled around, I was still in the same mess that I was in since the beginning. My laziness had always stuck with me, and it caused me great problems when it came to looking toward the future. Teachers had pushed me to apply for many different colleges, but in the end it was my lack of effort that ended up pushing them away from me. When it was time to start preparing for graduation, I realized that unlike most of my classmates... I had no future. I did not get accepted to Montclair State University or Rutgers or even Passaic County Community College, because they were all out my reach. I did not know what I wanted to do with myself, and I did not even try to find out.
            I barely graduated from my high school (I believe it was because of one teacher that I even passed at all) and when I graduated, it was the end of the road for me. I would have to find a regular job and deal with life that way. Going back to school did not really cross my mind until my best friend (then girlfriend) convinced me to finally go to Passaic County Community College.  It took me three years to think about what I wanted to do, but I finally got there and I have not looked back since. Three years. Those three years of thinking about what you want to do should be during high school, not afterwards.
            Don't be like me. You have great teachers to help and guide you to a place that you will want to eventually be. While I feel that I am on a good path right now, I feel this path would have worked out even better for me if I had decided to take it earlier. Right now you have countless resources at your disposal to help you, so why waste them over petty things? I realize that being a teenager is a fun and exciting time in your life, but being a teen will only last for so long. What will you do afterwards? You will need to learn how to be responsible for your life out in the real world, and that has to start now. Yes it is cheesy, but remember: an education is a terrible thing to waste.  

5 comments:

  1. Listen to D-Juan. He's a smart guy who wasted too many of his prime years. Happily he is on track now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i honestly feel like he is right. i did the same mistake sophomore year i wanted to give up and i left school. i didn't know what to do. all my family and friends wanted to help me and i just pushed them all away. in my mind i just wanted to find a job for my daughter because i didn't want to depend on parents. but it was all the opposite. i really thought about and i decided to come to school again this year because i know that my parents will not be here forever. graduating is the right choice for me to make because i wouldn't have to depend on no one to get my daughter anything because i will be having a great job. i want my little girl to feel proud of me and say to me "I'm going to do it just like my mom did".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This former high school student is 100% right. We shouldn't waste our time in school because once we graduate and don't know what to do, or where to go its all downhill from there. I believe we go to school for a reason. That reason is so we can find our inner selves and figure out what we want to do for the rest of our lives. And once that is complete, we can go out and pursue that dream of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think what ever juan did in the past was just a mistake and he improved his mistake.most of us is still making the same mistake, i think student should start paying more attention to their classes instead of being with their friends all the time. that way it will help them go to a better college

    ReplyDelete